A 1099 form is a Certain Information Return—which is really just a funny way the IRS has for labeling its core set of business filing forms. More specifically, these forms document and report the vast majority of non-employee financial disbursements. In some ways, the easiest way to answer the question is by pointing out what isn’t a 1099 form. 1099 forms don’t include w-2 employee payments, for example. They don’t include 940 unemployment forms, w-9 identification forms, or SS-8 worker classification forms. Needless to say, the IRS has more than a few different types of forms that it issues.
What is a 1099 Form List?
And yet, the 1099 form is itself a huge category that covers all kinds of financial transactions including many different types of property, service, and product exchanges. This list of forms is just one of the ways you know our Forms Filer software has the powerful support you need:
In addition to comprehensive support for your 1099 filing forms, this platform offers several key data management features within an intuitive platform built specifically for accounting and forms filing needs.
What is a 1099 Form Copy?
Each type of 1099 has three different copies of the filing form attached to it. The filer is responsible for submitting the appropriate copy to each of the following parties:
- 1099 Form Copy A: This is the copy to be filed directly with the IRS. This form copy is also easy to recognize with its special red-ink scannable printing. If you e-file with the IRS, you don’t need to worry about Copy A.
- 1099 Form Copy B: This is the copy to be mailed to the recipient. Sometimes, this requirement can be waived, but it must be done explicitly so. If you use the red-ink Copy A forms, you’ll find Copy B underneath it. If you e-file, you can print blank 1099 copy B forms on plain, white paper.
- 1099 Form Copy C: You keep this one for your own records. Whether through electronic bookkeeping or paper archives, you don’t want to leave your tax history entirely in the hands of the IRS. They do make mistakes.
(Note: AMS software also includes state-level support for relevant Copy 1 and Copy 2 forms filing.)
What is 1099 Form Software?
Our 1099 form software is driven by our Forms Filer platform. This intuitive solution eliminates a lot of duplicate data entry, unnecessary delays, filing errors, and missing reports. It saves you time and headaches, while also delivering comprehensive filing support at attractive prices.
Best of all, it creates a sophisticated module interaction. In this way, you can build and implement a custom software solution. Download our demo or talk to our Sales and Information team at (800) 536-1099 about which of the following products make sense for your business. You can buy your software online at any time.
- W-2/1099 Forms Filer (required platform)
- E-File Direct
- Software-Generated Forms
- Payroll Module
- Affordable Care Act Filer
- 1042-S Filer
- Forms Filer Plus