If you’re filling out employer-based 1099-MISC forms for the first time, you’re probably looking around for the easy and cheap solution. Going online and finding a free, fillable 1099-MISC form is not difficult. Now finding a free online solution that will actually enable you to comply with the applicable filing requirements and submit 1099 forms to your contractors as well as the IRS? That’s a different story.
The crucial missing detail is that, unless you’re paying for e-file software to transmit the data online, you have to use special, red-ink 1099 forms so that the IRS can scan the information into their databases without any time-prohibitive manual data entry. Your free 1099 MISC form might look like the real thing, but unless it comes directly from the IRS, it might not be what you need.
Free and Fillable 1099-MISC Form Resources
- Are you simply wondering what the 1099-MISC form looks like? Trying to get a preview of the sort of information it asks for and how the form is generally formatted? You can find this type of online Form 1099-MISC on the IRS website.
- Better yet, you can get free and fillable 1099-MISC forms from the IRS. You simply need to send away for them ahead of time. It can take several weeks for the forms to arrive when ordering online, and you don’t want to wait till the last minute in case something is amiss.
- In terms of actually knowing how to fill out Form 1099-MISC, here, too, the IRS provides multiple ways for you to get the information you need. First, if you send away for the free paper forms, the instructions should arrive with the forms automatically. You can also find them on the IRS website here.
Fillable 1099-MISC Form Software
Once you have the blank forms, you still have to input the payer/payee information and total payments. Looking for a free solution? Handwritten forms are your best bet, but this is usually more time-consuming and stress-inducing than you might first suppose. Especially if your penmanship isn’t the best.
The best solution for a fillable 1099 MISC form is a user-friendly software. It’s not free, but for just, you can get the W-2/1099 Forms Filer from Advanced Micro Solutions. This platform software has an intuitive, menu-driven interface that enables you to quickly and accurately prepare and print the information on your pre-printed forms.
Plus, AMS provides a range of 1099 MISC-specific resources, like a large FAQ page designed around some of our users’ most popular questions. Do you have a software-specific question, like how to pay for the forms you submitted? What about a more general question, like whether an employee can receive both a W-2 and a 1099? We have jargon-free, to-the-point answers when you need them.
Our Forms Filer also offers a sophisticated module interaction so you can bring a more comprehensive form filing solution to your business. This includes things like e-filing with IRS, payroll processing, and software-generated forms. If not this year, then maybe a couple years down the road when your company expands, we’ll be ready to step up with more advanced software support. With this in mind, here are all the prices and products in the AMS software catalog:
- W-2/1099 Forms Filer (required platform)
- Payroll Software
- Software-Generated Forms
- E-File Direct
- Affordable Care Act Filer
- 1042-S Filer
- Forms Filer Plus
Download our free demo and then buy our software directly online. If you still have lingering questions, talk to our Sales and Information team at (800) 536-1099.