For employers and payers, filing 1099s is a multi-stage process. First, you need to prepare and mail out your payee/recipient copies. Then, a few weeks later, you also need to file directly with the IRS, SSA, and any applicable state and local filing forms. Moreover, accountants and other professional tax preparers must also submit the filings to their payer clients, making for a total of three rounds of 1099 filings.
Some of these steps are best done online, while others involve paper copies. Some state filings are required by the state to be submitted electronically. The thing is there is no one-size-fits-all for every business. That’s why Advanced Micro Solutions (AMS) offers our clients multiple options for filing 1099 software and services.
E-File Direct with AMS
This flat-fee software module handles all your payroll e-filing. Your data is directly submitted to the relevant tax agency using the prescribed software system. (The IRS uses the “FIRE” system, while the SSA uses the “BSO”/”ACCUWAGE” system.) The big advantage with this strategy is that filing 1099 forms can be done in unlimited quantities. This makes it a great solution for payroll and accounting departments, as well as independent tax accounting firms. E-File Direct from AMS:
- Produces required W-2 and 1099 files for the IRS/SSA.
- Creates files in the program’s directory.
- Can verify, view and print files.
- Creates state W-2 files for all states that require electronic filing.
See more information about E-File Direct here.
Filing 1099s with a Third Party Vendor
You can also find e-filing services with our third-party software provider. This vendor has built a solution that’s fully compatible with the AMS software platform. This option includes fees per form filing. Better yet, there are different types and levels of e-filing support. Each one meets slightly different business priorities, based on time- and cost-savings at different points on the filing calendar.
- E-Filing to the IRS/SSA/States: Electronically file forms with the right government agencies. The user doesn’t have to submit paper forms to the government. Instead, you are responsible only for mailing the recipient copies to the employees.
- Forms Mailed to the Recipient: Print and mail recipient copies directly to the employees. Here, you are responsible for filing the information separately with the government.
- E-File AND Recipient Mailing: File your forms electronically, as well as printing and mailing service for sending recipient copies to your payees.
- Payer File Copy and Recipient Mailing: Print and bulk-mail payer/employer copies to the payer/employer. The recipient copies are printed and mailed as well.
Find a price chart for E-File Services here.
Our 1099 Forms Filer Software
The W-2/1099 Forms Filer is the foundational platform from AMS and is a required purchase for all other filing features and software support. That said, this solution already provides a wide range of data entry, printing, data reporting, networking, and security capabilities. You can take care of most of your filing forms on your own through paper copies, especially if you add our Software-Generated Forms product.
A great way to see our software in action is to watch our free demo. If you have lingering questions, however, you can also contact our Sales and Information team at (800) 536-1099.