Adjusting to expectations for 1099 and W-2 printing services in 2023 may seem complicated for small business owners at first. Small businesses typically report and submit their 1099 and W-2 forms electronically, unless otherwise prompted by the Internal Revenue Service’s evolving regulations for electronic filing. The most comprehensive tax software for small businesses offers electronic filing options and printing services for tax forms. Try not to worry about printing services feeling redundant in 2023. Use software printing capabilities to send any forms to your employees and contractors or to improve your record-keeping.
Our software solutions in our base W-2/1099 Forms Filer help fulfill these needs for a variety of small business industries. Download our free 1099-etc Demo software today to explore how our system prints everything from 1099 and W-2 tax forms to table and worksheet reports.
Expectations for IRS 1099 and W-2 Printing Services in 2023?
The IRS expects more electronic filing than ever, but the rules may differ for your employees or contractors. Mail out Form 1099 Copy B to recipients unless they give you clear permission to electronically send them a form. Printing these types of forms individually for multiple recipients will likely become time-consuming and arduous. Reduce the likelihood of your business making careless errors by investing in printing services that save you time and effort. Print batch reports and forms for multiple payers on pre-printed forms.
Do not dismiss the importance of electronic filing services. The IRS reduced the prior 250-return threshold for businesses filing information returns in a calendar year to the agency. Make sure you understand the 1099 and W-2 printing services expectations for 2024. A business will generally need to electronically file 10 or more returns to the IRS for the previous calendar year. Take into consideration your business’s current size and projected growth.
Pros and Cons of Printing vs. E-Filing
Your business will always need to print forms or reports in some capacity, but only you can determine how much you should rely on electronic filing or paper filing. Each method has advantages and disadvantages to consider before you decide whether to e-file as much as possible or simply as much as the IRS requires.
- Highly Efficient – E-filing reduces the time you spend on the filing process. It also reduces how long it takes for the IRS to process returns.
- Improved Accuracy – All businesses must send accurate, required forms to the IRS. E-file services help you keep track of your necessary forms.
Print Filing Pros
- Simplicity – Easy form alignment and large-batch printing features help make 1099 and W-2 printing services more automated and error free than traditional paper filing.
- Greater Security – Minimize potential personal data leaks when you use disc-based software to print and mail returns. The protection extends to your company and employees’ information.
- Data Loss – Reporting returns to the IRS means that you need access to years-old information. Printing services allow you to keep up-to-date and backed up physical records.
- Limitations – Do you need to add a statement or separate attachments? You cannot e-file your business’s forms under these circumstances.
Print Filing Cons
- Additional Steps – Collecting and entering your data, filling out the forms, and then printing and mailing the forms requires some additional steps. It can also leave more room for errors when you get distracted or overwhelmed.
- Longer Processing – You will likely spend a longer time waiting for 1099 and W-2 printing services to finalize results for 2023. The IRS generally processes e-filing in a few days and may spend weeks or over a month on paper filing.
Why Use AMS for Information Return Printing Services?
Combine our W-2/1099 Forms Filer with our add-on Software Generated Forms module to print your 1099 and W-2 documents. Our software supports up to 99,999 employees or recipients per payer. The program does not limit its users to only printing information return forms or table and worksheet reports. Use the software to print any client letters, recipient lists, and mailing labels. One of our most effective tools is our module interaction capabilities. Use Software Generated Forms to produce most forms on blank paper, such as Copy A of the W-2 and W-3 forms. Keep in mind that the IRS requires businesses to print Copy A of most 1099 forms on the standard red, pre-printed forms.
The good news is that for the 2023 tax season, we help make your 1099 and W-2 printing services process entirely customizable. Explore our six optional add-on modules and how they meet and exceed all small business needs at an affordable price.