Can I File a W2 Form for Payments Made to an Intern?

Yes, you can and you should file a W2 form for payments that you made to an intern. Submit a Form W2 copy to the Internal Revenue Service and any of your business’s paid interns. Make sure that you do not contract these interns to complete specific work. You must classify them as employees if you intend to tax them like a W2 employee. Taxing paid interns as W2 employees allows them to write off any of their work-related expenses when tax season rolls around. Send them their Form W2 by Jan. 31 for payments that you made to them in the previous tax year.

We support small businesses filing their W2 forms with our core W2/1099 Forms Filer product. Download our free 1099-etc Demo software today and explore our Common Payee File, which eliminates you needing to enter the same information multiple times.

Software Solutions from AMS

Our W-2 and 1099 Forms Filer is our only required platform. From there, users pick the services they need. Choose from the tools below to build out your customized accounting software.