What 1099 Forms Do I Send to Contractors?

Send specific independent contractors 1099-NEC and 1099-MISC forms. The contractors must meet certain prerequisites in order to receive the two types of 1099 forms.

Send contractors a Form 1099-NEC if they:

  • Do freelance work for you. Send a 1099-NEC to individuals who operate as LLCs or as sole proprietors that you paid during a calendar year.
  • Complete contract work for your business. Distribute 1099-NEC forms to contractors who are not employed by staffing firms as W-2 employees.
  • Offer independent services that equal or exceed $600 during a year. These services that you need to report may range from web design to legal work.


Distribute your 1099-MISC forms if you:

  • Need to report rent. Issue landlord clients a 1099-MISC if you are a tenants or property management company. Use the form to report rent paid within the last calendar year.
  • Gave prizes and/or awards. Send a 1099-MISC form if someone received a large cash payment. Individuals need the form to report their winnings, including casino winnings.
  • Reimbursed a contractor for certain expenses. Certain contractor supplies and items are not subject to self-employment tax. Distribute 1099-MISC forms to contractors that you regularly reimburse.

Invest in W-2/1099 software once you determine what 1099 forms to send to contractors. Users print tax forms on blank paper with our Software Generated Forms software. Learn about our add-on module with our free demo or by calling us today at (405) 340-0697.

Software Solutions from AMS

Our W-2 and 1099 Forms Filer is our only required platform. From there, users pick the services they need. Choose from the tools below to build out your customized accounting software.