Purchasing a payroll program for small business needs is a big step in a company’s journey. Many owners might not even consider this purchase until they have a handful of employees who need to be paid. But relying on manual payroll reporting, even for just one or two workers, can be a mistake. In most cases, the cost of time spent making calculations will outweigh what you spend on a payroll software.
If you’re thinking about buying your first payroll program, consider Advanced Micro Solutions. We make accounting tools designed with small business needs in mind. With us, you’ll find an accessible, affordable, and user-friendly payroll product.
Does Manual Payroll Ever Make Sense?
Very small businesses tend to postpone investing in payroll software. Instead, they might opt for manual payroll reporting. This DIY approach can be time-intensive, and it is not straightforward. Even businesses with a handful of employees can benefit from payroll software. Here’s why:
- Payroll is both frequent and ongoing. This means you’ll need to spend several hours every pay period – as frequently as every two weeks – calculating payroll. Automating this will save a significant amount of time and money.
- You’ll pay more than just your employees. When people think about managing payroll, they primarily think about the people under their direct employment. Business owners rarely consider the 1099 workers they’ll contract for various tasks. Investing in a payroll program for small businesses can streamline contract payments.
- Do what you can to simplify annual reporting. Having semi-automated and digitized payroll will support easy end-of-year tax reporting. If payments and withheld taxes are recorded throughout the year, distributing W-2 and 1099 forms in January will be fast and simple.
Unless you are the only employee of your company, manual payroll is not usually a viable option. Even then, self-employed people might want to consider their own payroll software. This is a low-cost investment that can reap rewards over the course of the tax year.
Investing in a Payroll Program Means Investing in Efficiency
Choosing a payroll program for small businesses means valuing your time as a business owner. Automating recurring processes gives you back your time. Rather than spending hours every week keeping track of employee and contract wages, try a low-cost payroll system. You’ll be surprised by how much time you’ll claw back from administrative tasks.
Still not sure if you’re ready to try a payroll program? Consider these additional benefits of AMS Payroll, our accounting and payroll software:
- Automatically calculate federal, state, and local payroll taxes
- Print checks directly from your software or facilitate direct deposit
- Process both “live” and after-the-fact payroll
- Receive federal payroll form support
- Electronically file 941, 944, and 940 forms
- Easily import and export data to and from your software
If you’re on the fence about accounting software, Advanced Micro Solutions is here to help. We offer a free demo software to all prospective customers. This is an opportunity to see how simple a payroll program for small businesses can be. For those with additional questions, give our Sales and Information Team a call at 800-536-1099.