Payments Requiring a 1099-MISC

If you’ve been doing side jobs or a little moonlighting in addition to your real job, you can look forward to getting one or more 1099-MISC forms in the mail.

This might come as a surprise to those who thought they wouldn’t need to pay taxes on that additional income. In fact, the 1099-misc payment is among one of the most common transactions the IRS processes. The IRS defines gross income as all income from whatever source derived. Included in gross income are commissions, consulting fees and any further compensation for services. That includes that side job you’ve been using to make some extra cash.

If a business pays you $600 or more in a year for consulting fees, they have to report it to the IRS on form 1099-MISC. You’ll receive a copy of the 1099-MISC as well, and you must retain these records because you will need to report this additional income. This report will often require a 1099-misc payment to ensure proper taxes are paid on all income.

Correctly Reporting Payments Requiring 1099-MISC

To ensure that you are reporting correctly, you must file a Schedule C (or C-EZ) and Schedule SE with your 1040. You will use the Schedule C to report all the gross receipts from your side business. You need to report all the income you received from your additional job or any consulting.  You must report any and all income, not just the amounts for which you received a 1099-MISC. Even though a business needs to pay you a minimum of $600 before they are required to submit a 1099-MISC, you are required to report all the income you receive from all sources, even if it is less than $600. This makes bookkeeping, even for smaller jobs, absolutely essential.

Understanding Your Possible Deductions

You’ll also report your deductible business expenses on the Schedule C. Some examples of deductible business expenses include marketing, consulting, legal and professional fees, advertising, insurance, office expenses, and rent or lease expenses. You’ll subtract your expenses from your gross receipts and the net profit or net loss will be shown on your 1040. If you had a net profit, this amount will also be shown on the Schedule SE. You use Schedule SE to figure the amount of self-employment tax that you will owe on your business income.

If you have additional questions about 1099-MISC, you might find our dedicated FAQ page to be valuable. Skim these posts to find the exact information you need.

Advanced Micro Solutions hopes this information was valuable to you. Please visit to learn more about our software.

Software Solutions from AMS

Our W-2 and 1099 Forms Filer is our only required platform. From there, users pick the services they need. Choose from the tools below to build out your customized accounting software.