IRS form 1099-MISC is used for all kinds of things: rents, royalties, independent contractor payments, cash awards and casino jackpots, attorney payments, fishing and fishing boat proceeds, and crop insurance payments. At the same time, this means it’s used by individuals who work from home, mom-and-pop businesses working on thin margins, independent accounting professionals, as well as major companies with full-blown accounting departments.
For this reason, it’s no wonder that there are multiple strategies for filing IRS form 1099-MISC. If you’re filing this form for the first time, or if your filing requirements are changing in a major way this year, it’s a good idea to take a moment and review the different filing strategies.
- Handwritten, Free-Sourced Forms: If you’re working with only a couple subcontractors, for example, and looking to save money on very modest filing requirements, you can send away for a good number of IRS form 1099-MISC, free of charge. Then, you fill out all the information by hand and send out copy B to the recipient and copy A to the IRS, as well as any relevant state copies.
- Basic Software Filing Support: That said, it’s easy to underestimate how time-consuming, frustrating, and ache-inducing handwritten forms can be. If you have more than even a few 1099 forms to file, you’re going to want to use some kind of software support. In other words, still send away for free forms, but then use our W-2/1099 Forms Filer to prepare the information on your computer and then print the information directly on to pre-printed forms. Put another way, for just, you can make your forms look like they were prepared by actual accountants, while also saving time on the filing process itself.
- E-Filing Solutions: You don’t necessarily have to send away for free 1099 forms, but even if you do, you don’t necessarily have to use the special red-ink form. You can simply purchase our E-File Direct software and take care of your IRS filing requirement electronically. You’ll still have to mail a recipient copy, but we also work with a third-party vendor who provides piecemeal e-filing services, including mailing services.
- Blank Form Printing: A lot of businesses that choose to e-file also choose to print out blank filing forms. This way, they don’t have to source 1099 forms at all. Businesses can take care of their filing requirements directly at the office at an attractive price for this type of comprehensive software solution.
IRS Form 1099-MISC Software Filing Products
Another thing that sets AMS and our W-2/1099 Forms Filer apart from the competition is the advanced module interaction that it creates. Simply put, you can pick and choose from our catalog of products what features and forms filing support make the most sense for your business. Whether you’re an independent business owner, a major company with plenty of employee payroll to account for, or an independent accounting professional with a full roster of business clients, we can provide a tailored software solution at a great price:
- W-2/1099 Forms Filer (required platform)
- E-File Direct
- Software-Generated Forms
- Payroll Module
- Affordable Care Act Filer
- 1042-S Filer
- Forms Filer Plus
Don’t hesitate to find the support you need. Buy your software, download the free demo, or call our Sales and Information team at (800) 536-1099.