The existing rules for 1099 filing forms are complicated enough, but you also have to keep up with the changes that occur from one year to the next. Of the changes that are happening in 2016, 1099-MISC form is seeing some of the biggest. And this has been the case the past few years. In a natural consequence of the U.S. workforce trending more towards self-employed independent contractors, the volume of 2016 1099-MISC forms is almost sure to surpass the filings from the previous year.
As such, it’s little surprise that the IRS wants to get a head start this year. In perhaps the biggest change to filing forms in 2016, the 1099-MISC form must now be filed earlier if you are reporting non-employee compensation income in Box 7. Specifically, you must file with the IRS at the same time that you mail out the recipient Copy B form. The filing deadline for this Box 7 income is January 31st, 2017. In a smaller change, if you’re reporting amounts in Box 8 (Substitute Payments in Lieu of Dividends or Interest) or Box 14 (Gross Proceeds Paid to an Attorney), you have until February 15th, 2017.
Get Software Support for 1099-MISC Form in 2016
It would have been hard to imagine a couple decades ago, but one of the things that doesn’t change from one year to the next is the need to find a software companion that will help you prepare and file forms quickly and reliably. That’s exactly what you get with the W-2/1099 Forms Filer from Advanced Micro Solutions (AMS). This foundational software platform offers a wide range of data management and filing features that make it easy to prepare your 1099-MISC form and your w-2 and 1099 filings:
Data Entry and Printing
- Data entry screen resembles the actual forms.
- Browse command offers data entry using a spreadsheet format.
- A Common Payee File allows the user to avoid a lot of duplicate data entry.
- Data can be imported from a huge range of source files.
- “Define” default values for things like State Code and ID.
- Automatic save and backup restore.
- Print tables, worksheets, client letters, recipient lists, and mailing labels.
- Report generates hash totals for checking SSNs and TINs.
- Encrypted PDF files to securely email reports.
- Batch printing for multiple payer reports to save time and effort.
- Print information with easy form alignment and large batch print jobs.
- Free Network Installation.
- Multiple PC Installation.
- Supports up to 99,999 employees/recipients per payer.
- Supports up to 1,999 Payers/Employers.
- Creates an SSN verification file.
- Optionally Save Reports to PDF files.
- Payer backup and restore available.
Finally, this software platform creates a sophisticated module interaction that allows our clients to build more advanced software solutions that offer e-filing software and services, blank 2016 1099-MISC forms, payroll and other accounting solutions. Check out our entire catalog of products, or download our free software demo to learn more about what AMS software can do for your business. You can also talk to our Sales and Information team at (800) 536-1099.