For those people and entities that aren’t familiar with this filing requirement, the 1099-DIV form is used by the IRS to account for and apply taxes to dividend payments. Sounds easy enough. But, of course, like anything else dealing with the federal tax code, there are exceptions:
- One common mistake that people naturally make is misclassifying interest payments. Some business environments use the term “dividend” to refer to both interest payments that are filed with form 1099-INT, as well as actual 1099-DIV dividend payments.
- It also doesn’t include pensions, annuities, profit-sharing, certain insurance contracts, or other retirement-related payments that fall under the IRS guidelines for form 1099-R.
- Some contracts allow for an original dividend payment to be cancelled and a substitute payment to be issued instead. These payments are accounted for through form 1099-MISC (Box 8. substitute payments).
The 1099-DIV form is a catch-all for remaining and outstanding payments for dividend-based distributions not mentioned in the exceptions. Everything else is accounted for by other 1099 forms. If you’d like more information, you can find more complete instructions for form 1099-DIV here.
Shopping for 1099-DIV Form Software?
But here’s the larger point that banks, brokers, accountants, and other business firms need to recognize when shopping for a 1099 software solution: The software is necessarily developed with the filing needs of many different types of clients in mind. Otherwise, the market isn’t there for affordable pricing. On the other hand, beware, too, of developers that organize all their software features in one big bundle, with gimmicky promotions and bargain-basement prices that may conceal fundamental problems that come with a hastily-constructed platform. The key, then, is the ability to offer versatile software solutions that are both comprehensive and customizable.
1099 Software Support from AMS
The W-2/1099 Forms Filer provides support for 1099-DIV form preparation, printing, and filing. At, this foundational software solution from Advanced Micro Solutions (AMS) is required for other software purchases from AMS. The platform offers intuitive, menu-driven performance and modular software solutions for a huge variety of payroll, accounting, and filing services. Indeed, the module interaction created by our Forms Filer is a big part of what our clients love most about AMS.
That said, before you take a look at our catalog of products, consider some of the popular features included in the Forms Filer software itself.
- Data Entry: Import/transfer data from nearly any file format. Allows you to enter information using screen that resembles the actual form or through a spreadsheet format. Reduce errors and increase data entry efficiency.
- Printing: Print data on preprinted forms with easy form alignment and large-batch print jobs.
- Data Reporting: Print tables, worksheets, recipient lists, client letters, and mailing labels. Create encrypted PDF files, and verify data with SSN/TIN hash totals.
- More Features: Includes free network installation, as well as multiple PC networking (site license may be required). Creates SSN verification files. Payer backup and data restore.
A great way to see our software in action is to download our free software demo. And if you still have lingering questions about what our software can do for your business, contact our Sales and Information team at 800-536-1099.